Gingered Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
I like that this gingerbread delight is so deeply flavored and delicious. Served warm from the oven, a nice scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is definitely the icing on this cake. —Raymonde Bourgeois, Swastika, Ontario
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/8-in. slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Place butter in a 9-in. round baking pan; heat in oven until melted. Tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. Sprinkle brown sugar and ginger onto bottom of pan. Arrange apple slices in circles over brown sugar mixture.
- 2. For batter, in a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over apples.
- 3. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 336 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Gingered Apple Upside-Down Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC