Gingered Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 large apples, peeled and cut into 1/8-in. slices
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place butter in a 9-in. round baking pan; heat in oven until melted. Tilt pan to coat bottom and sides. Sprinkle brown sugar and ginger onto bottom of pan. Arrange apple slices in circles over brown sugar mixture.
- For batter, in a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Gingered Apple Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
"Loved it. The crystallized ginger made it stand out. I think maybe next time (yes, I plan on a next time) I'll add some to the batter also."
"Very tasty served warm with vanilla ice cream. I love using crystallized ginger in recipes but I also added cinnamon to the apples."
"Delicious! I made it for company and didn't know how they felt about ginger, so I substituted it with cinnamon. Everyone enjoyed it!"
"Not too sweet, but if you don't like ginger, it'll be disappointing to you! Love the freshness of the apples in it! My cake looked just like the picture when I flipped it!"
"This is a delicious recipe. I've made it twice with pears from our backyard. The cake is very moist."