Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and water. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Pour into a greased 9-in. microwave-safe pie plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5-6 minutes, rotating a quarter turn every 2 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover with waxed paper; let stand for 5 minutes. Remove waxed paper and invert onto a serving plate.
- 3. In a 1-qt. microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, butter and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture begins to boil; stir.
- 4. Add a small amount to egg; beat well. Return all to the bowl. Microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Cook 45 seconds longer or until slightly thickened. Serve with the gingerbread. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 405 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.