- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and
- molasses. Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking
- soda, salt and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for
- 30 minutes.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour,
- cinnamon and ginger. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Stir in pecans and lemon peel. Sprinkle over gingerbread.
- Bake 10 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center
- of cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped
- cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 518 calories, 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.