This gingerbread has just the right amount of spices and bakes up nice and moist. Topping individual servings with flavored whipped cream turns this into an extra-special dessert.—Ann Le Duc, Gloversville, New York
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups molasses
- 2 cups water
- 4-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons each baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- AMBER CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine molasses and water. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine cream, brown sugar and vanilla; chill for at least 1 hour. Whip until stiff peaks form. Serve with the gingerbread. Yield: 24-32 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread with Amber Cream in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p54
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Gingerbread with Amber Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review