Gingerbread with Amber Cream Recipe
This gingerbread has just the right amount of spices and bakes up nice and moist. Topping individual servings with flavored whipped cream turns this into an extra-special dessert.Ann Le Duc, Gloversville, New York
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups molasses
- 2 cups water
- 4-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons each baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- AMBER CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine molasses and water. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine cream, brown sugar and vanilla; chill for at least 1 hour. Whip until stiff peaks form. Serve with the gingerbread. Yield: 24-32 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread with Amber Cream in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p54
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Gingerbread with Amber Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review