- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small
- bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolks until blended; beat in the
- buttermilk, butter, molasses and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients
- just until combined.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks
- form. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to
- manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until
- fluffy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Serve waffles with topping and maple syrup. Yield: 16 waffles (1-1/3
- cups topping).
To Make Ahead: Topping can be made a day in advance. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Facts: 2 waffles with about 2 tablespoons topping (calculated without maple syrup) equals 557 calories, 27 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 755 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.