Fans of gingerbread cookies will love these waffles! The breakfast treat features a delicious blend of molasses and spices. Add a dollop of the cream cheese frosting to make this wake-up specialty extra indulgent.—Jannine Fisk, Malden, Massachusetts
Recommended: 37 Awesome Ways to Love Pumpkin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat brown sugar and egg yolks until blended; beat in the buttermilk, butter, molasses and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla and salt. Serve waffles with topping and maple syrup. Yield: 16 waffles (1-1/3 cups topping).
Originally published as Gingerbread Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p77
Reviews for Gingerbread Waffles with Cream Cheese Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review