I originally developed this recipe for a friend's baby shower, but now it's a holiday favorite. The flavored cream cheese filling pairs well with the fruit and gingerbread.—Nancy Cupp, Larkspur, California
Recommended: Top 10 Gingerbread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 10 medium ripe pears
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- TRIFLE CREAM:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine water and lemon juice. Peel pears, one at a time, quarter and cut into 1 to 1-1/2-in. chunks. Place in water mixture to prevent browning.
- Drain pears. In a large skillet, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and ginger. Add half the pears. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until syrup is golden brown. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl.
- Repeat with remaining sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger and pears. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for trifle cream, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, orange juice, orange peel and extract until blended. Gently fold in whipped cream.
- To assemble, cut cake into 1/4-in. slices. Place a third in a 3-qt. trifle dish or glass serving bowl; top with a third of pears and a third of cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread Trifle with Pears in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p142
Reviews forGingerbread Trifle with Pears
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2017
"This is delicious!!!!"