- floured surface, roll a portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness; keep
- rest refrigerated.
- To cut out stars: Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut around
- star patterns. You will need a total of 33 cookies--two treetop
- stars; three each of stars 1-4 and 9; and four each of stars 5-8.
- Place 12 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press a red-hot candy
- into the center of each treetop star; press red hot candies into
- points of the rest of the stars. In one number 9 star, make two
- indentations as shown on the pattern (to hold the treetop stars in
- To bake: Place all cookies in a 350° oven and bake until lightly
- browned on the edges; 5 minutes for treetop stars; 8-10 minutes for
- numbers 6-9; 11-12 minutes for numbers 1-5. Cool on baking sheets
- for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- To assemble: Starting with star number 1, stack stars on the serving
- plate, staggering star points. For a natural-looking tree as shown
- in the photo at left, the sizes are alternated in the following
- order: 1-1-2-1-2-3-2-3-4-5-4-5-5-6-5-6-6-7-6-7-7-8-7-8-8-9-8-9-9 (
- with indentations). Place the two tree top stars in the
- indentations, leaning back to back. Dust tree with confectioners'
- sugar if desired. To serve, pass the entire tree.
- Yield: 33 cookies.
Cutting Note: Cut 33 cookiestwo treetop stars; three each of star numbers 1-4 and 9; and four each of star numbers 5-8.
Note: Note: Pat’s gingerbread recipe will yield the 33 cookies needed for the centerpiece, plus an extra 5 dozen or so smaller cookies.