"This old-fashioned gingerbread cake is excellent!" promises Ginger Hendricksen of Plover, Wisconsin. Lemon peel is a nice addition to the sweet cream cheese frosting.
Recommended: 34 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in molasses. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and lemon peel; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Spread or pipe 2/3 cup frosting between each layer. Spread or pipe remaining frosting over top of cake. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread Torte in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p37