Here’s a wonderful treat for the season. Stir a tablespoon into coffee, tea or cider…drizzle it over pancakes, hot cereal or yogurt…or use it as a glaze for chicken or pork chops.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), broken into pieces
- 16 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the first five ingredients on a double thickness of
- cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water, honey, nutmeg and
- spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 30-45 minutes or until syrup reaches desired consistency.
- Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Discard spice bag;
- transfer syrup to airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for
- up to 1 month. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 108 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.