Gingerbread Spice Jelly
I've made batches of this simple jelly, a winner at our county fair, to give as gifts for many years. When the jars are empty, people return them for a refill. —Robin Nagel, Whitehall, Montana
40 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 18 gingerbread spice tea bags
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat; add
- tea bags. Cover and steep for 30 minutes.
- Discard tea bags. Stir in the sugar, apple juice and butter. Bring to
- a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in
- pectin. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into
- hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles;
- wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water
- canner. (Jelly may take up to 2 weeks to set.) Yield: 5 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 91 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.