- 2-1/2 cups water
- 18 gingerbread spice tea bags
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat; add tea bags. Cover and steep 30 minutes.
- Discard tea bags. Stir in the sugar, apple juice and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. (Jelly may take up to 2 weeks to set.) Yield: 5 half-pints.
Reviews for Gingerbread Spice Jelly
Sort By :
"Our Test Kitchen recommends you never stray from the ingredient amounts or methods listed in a canning recipe. Not only can the results be unfavorable, they can be unsafe. Taste of Home stands by the guidelines set out by the USDA and suggests our readers do the same.Make sure your pectin is super fresh. The Test Kitchen did find it continued to gel as it aged.Sue StetzelOnline Community / Field Editor ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"I ALMOST ALWAYS USE LESS SUGAR THAN A RECIPE CALLS FOR. IT IS UAUALLY WAY TOO SWEET. THIS SOUNDS INTERESTING SO WILL GIVE IT A TRY. I MAKE A LOT OF JELLY AND DIFFERENT KINDS. OF COURSE THE KIDS AND GRANDKIDS LOVE IT ALL TOO. DONALEE2IF MY JELLY DOESN'T JELL I USE IT FOR SYRUP ON PANCAKES. WORKS REALLY WELL FOR THAT."
"I followed the recipe exactly, using Holiday Gingerbread Spice Tea. I like the taste, but it never did set. It came out more like a syrup. (I am experienced at making jam & jelly.)"
"Made this with both Gingerbread Spice and Sugar Plum Spice teas from Celestial Seasonings and both were a great success! I personally didn't find either jelly too sweet for their purpose and they set without an issue doing the recipe as written. They'll make great gifts and will certainly become a Christmas tradition for my family."
"To make this recipe I ordered online the Holiday Gingerbread Spice Celestial Tea bags.Followed the directions exactly as printed, disappointed as the jelly never did set.It had a nice flavor and I didn't want it to go to waste, so, I purchased pancake syrup type bottles with corks, and used it for gifts that way. What a job.... I make jellies regularly and have great success, but this failed my expectations. Only 2 stars as it wasn't a total failure,but spent to much $$$ ....will not attempt a second try !"