Gingerbread Souffles Recipe
If you enjoy gingerbread cookies, you'll be delighted with these light golden souffles. This airy dessert has a wonderful ginger flavor that is enhance with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.—Donna Spangler, Palmyra, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 7 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups and lightly sprinkle with sugar; set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Stir in the brown sugar, crystallized ginger and spices until blended; allow to cool slightly.
- 4. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into ginger mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Transfer to prepared dishes.
- 5. Bake 20-24 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 448 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 228 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC