If you enjoy gingerbread cookies, you'll be delighted with these light golden souffles. This airy dessert has a wonderful ginger flavor that is enhance with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.—Donna Spangler, Palmyra, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Recipes Inspired by Beauty and the Beast
- 7 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease six 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups and lightly sprinkle with sugar; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Stir in the brown sugar, crystallized ginger and spices until blended; allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into ginger mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined. Transfer to prepared dishes.
- Bake 20-24 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Gingerbread Souffles in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p116
Reviews for Gingerbread Souffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review