Any small gingerbread boy cookie cutter can take on new "life" with these classic cookies. Give him some cat friends, too. The more the merrier! —Dore' Merrick Grabski, Utica, New York
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; mix
- well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and
- nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough
- in half. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each
- portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in.
- cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.