Any small gingerbread boy cookie cutter can take on new "life" with these classic cookies. Give him some cat friends, too. The more the merrier! —Dore' Merrick Grabski, Utica, New York
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Skeletons & Scaredy Cats in Ultimate Halloween 2012 2012, p90
Reviews for Gingerbread Skeletons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review