- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar icing
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Skeletons
Sort By :
Quite truthfully, I didn't use this recipe for my cookies. I used my grandmothers, which isn't that different from this, but tried, true and receives rave reviews. I LOVED this idea of making skeleton people and animals with the gingerbread! The spicy treat of gingerbread is always associated with Christmas festivities, why not enjoy it in the fall? Kudos to this clever cook!