Gingerbread Scones Recipe
These moist scones' gingerbread flavor make them just right for serving around Christmastime. They are a scrumptious treat with tea or coffee. —David Bostedt, Zephyrhills, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, separated
- Coarse sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk molasses, milk and egg yolk until blended; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Place wedges 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg white until frothy; brush over scones. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 scone equals 157 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC