Gingerbread Scones with Lemon Butter Recipe
Busy morning? Fill your kitchen with the warm aroma of these tender gingerbread scones. Then slather on some lip-smacking lemon butter and relax with a steaming cup of coffee. Yum! —Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk cream and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in currants.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter.
- 3. Place 2 in. apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and peel until combined. Serve with warm scones. Yield: 16 scones.
1 scone with 1 teaspoon lemon butter equals 218 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC