Gingerbread Pudding Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- 1. Mix molasses and 1 cup water. In a bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg white and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- 2. Pour into a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Mix hot water and melted butter; pour over batter (do not stir).
- 3. Cook, covered, on high until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 2-2-1/2 hours. Turn off slow cooker; let stand 15 minutes. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving: 431 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread Pudding Cake
"The flavor of this cake was delicious! The only complaint my family had was that we thought the butter was excessive. There is ample liquid already, and it left it seeming a bit oily. Next time I will cut the butter in the final step by at least half, and I know it will be just perfect for my family's tastes!"
"incredibly easy and great flavor"
"Picked this because the in-laws like gingerbread and that this could free up the oven. Super easy to throw together. Wasn't sure it was gonna work because it was really soupy going into the crock pot. The middle was still pretty soggy but the edge pieces had a nice cake-like texture. As for the flavor, it was too rich for me and not sweet enough. I could only take a few small bites and that was more than enough. Seeing as I made it for the in-laws I didn't get any positive feedback from them so I am guessing I won't be making this again."
"Tried this recipe Friday night for a game night party and it was a complete disaster. I have been baking since I was 12 years old and have never had a recipe turn out so bad. The cake did not cook all the way and then burned on the bottom. There was no cake or pudding, just a disgusting tasteless mess. I tried to follow the recipe exactly as written, so I can't figure out what went wrong. All the other reviews make it sound so good and easy. This one will not make it into my recipe file."
"Easy and sooo delicious. I served it with whipped cream. Will make again!"
"I doubled this recipe for my 6-qt. crock pot. It came out beautifully. I only used half the butter called for in the topping - didn't miss it. The whole family liked this. We topped it with whipped cream. Next time I want to try lemon sauce."
"I love the pudding cake recipes and as a collector, I especially love seeing the pictures of the food in the vintage and depression glassware!"