Gingerbread People Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Decorating icing and assorted candies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, vanilla and lemon peel. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- 3. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without decorations) equals 99 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Reviews for Gingerbread People
"I love soft gingerbread cookies, saw this recipe had received high marks, so I was super excited to try it. I would not, however, bother making it again.The recipe yields a fantastic classic gingerbread flavor, which is why I rated this 2 stars instead of zero. The dough was unworkable. In fact the first batch I made was so dry and crumbly I had to throw it away. Sure that I had done something wrong, I carefully mixed up another batch, only to get the same result. I decided to keep the 2nd batch and use my cookie scoop, which was still tricky. I rolled them in sugar crystals and baked. I ended up with decent cookies, but it was way too frustrating to make it worthwhile."
"first time making gingerbread cookies. loved this recipe. i cut them into snowmen, and bears, which I decorated with white frosting,into boy and girl outfits, turned out so cute.the only problem I had with the dough, was that it cracked showing lines, other than that exc. will do again."
"Is anyone's dough very sticky when rolling it out and cutting? Mine is. Have to add bunch of flour. Any ideas? They are GOOOOOD though."
"They turned out really good and looked perfect when cooked. I had no cloves so used a little nutmeg and apple pie spice and it worked fine. I didn't decorate to look like men but used powdered sugar icing and tiny peppermint candy cane sprinkles. They looked really cute and the peppermint flavored sprinkles gave it a great taste!"
"Cookies are very good - definitely a keeper!!Just decorated them with mini M&Ms and green and red sugar and they look terrific.Grandma in WI"
"The first gingerbread recipe that I loved.....soft inside & very tasty. Only negative is that I tended to hold it too tightly while decorating & lost a couple of arms & legs. I quickly learned to hold them in the middle, not by an arm or leg :)Missygiraffe"
"I love this receipe, I made one huge gingerbread boy for my son and decorated it. He was thrilled. Very easy and quick. Thanks TOH"
"Made this recipe last year and I am so excited to make it again this year! It was perfect."
"Wonderful flavor without being overpowering. I followed the receipe as written. The whole process went smoothly. The cookies were crunchy on the edges and soft/chewy on the inside. This cookie will most certainly become a part of my Holiday cookie making!!"
"Couple of things. I didn't have lemon peel or the cloves. Oops. Turned out well. It got late when we made the dough for it to sit in the fridge for 1/2 hour. So it was in there for 2 days until we could get back to it. Had a GREAT time with my girls making cookies. The only problem, the dough was VERY sticky. Just kept adding flour until workable. Turned out very well. We make a big box of cookies. The next morning they were all gone. WHAT! My wife was giving them away to the girls Sunday School teachers for gifts - the teachers LOVED the cookies. Guess I'll be making some more ... so I can have a few. Thanks."
"Easiest dough I ever worked with!"