Gingerbread Pancakes with Apple Topping Recipe
I grew up eating these every Christmas morning. The aroma of apples and spices signaled that the big day had arrived.
- 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook apples in butter over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples; stir to coat. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla and keep warm.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, molasses and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with apple topping. Yield: 18 pancakes (3 cups apple topping).
2 pancakes with about 1/3 c. apple topping equals 523 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 419 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC