"As a diabetic, I tend to stick with tried-and-true recipes," Barbara Severson writes from Tularosa, New Mexico. "I added spices to a well-like oatmeal bread for this loaf and it’s the best my bread machine has ever turned out. I think it tastes best warm with tea or coffee and whipped topping."
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Gingerbread Loaf in Quick Cooking November/December 2005, p37
Reviews for Gingerbread Oatmeal Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review