Gingerbread Muffins Recipe
Growing up, I adored my mom’s gingerbread cake with lemon sauce, so I re-created the combination for my family. The spice- and molasses-flavored muffins spread with homemade lemon curd are a new-generation favorite. —Kelly Trupkiewicz, Fort Collins, Colorado
- LEMON CURD:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel until blended. Pour into a large bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and molasses until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm with lemon curd. Yield: 1 dozen (1 cup lemon curd).
1 serving (1 each) equals 271 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread Muffins
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC