Gingerbread Muffins Recipe
- LEMON CURD:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon peel until blended. Pour into a large bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil and molasses until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm with lemon curd. Yield: 1 dozen (1 cup lemon curd).
Reviews for Gingerbread Muffins(3)
Sort By :
I can only rate the muffins, as I did not make the lemon curd. I found the muffins to have a nice flavor, but they were dry and heavy. I will keep searching for a good gingerbread muffin recipe.
We really liked these, but the lemon curd is what makes them more than average. My daughter and I adore the lemon curd, but my son won't eat it because it has egg yolks in it. However, he thought they were very good without it.
The muffins turned out pretty well. I didnâ€™t have standard molasses, so I substituted 1/2 blackstrap molasses and 1/2 honey. These have a nice flavor, and the texture was better than my previous gingerbread muffin recipe. I did not care for the lemon curd, however. I'd rather have the warm muffins with butter.