- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and molasses until blended. Add egg yolks and egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt. Gradually add to the molasses mixture. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with marshmallows, pecans and chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove gingerbread from oven; spread with meringue. Bake 9-11 minutes longer or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Meringue Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p57
Reviews for Gingerbread Meringue Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review