Gingerbread Meringue Bars Recipe
The best of both worlds, I combined my grandmother's gingerbread recipe with my aunt's special brown sugar meringue to make these lovable bars. —Eden Dranger, Los Angeles, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and molasses until blended. Add egg yolks and egg, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt. Gradually add to the molasses mixture. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with marshmallows, pecans and chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 4. Remove gingerbread from oven; spread with meringue. Bake 9-11 minutes longer or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bar equals 135 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC