Gingerbread Men Cookies Recipe
No holiday cookie platter would be complete without gingerbread men! This is a tried-and-true recipe I'm happy to share with you.—Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps.
- 3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 116 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC