Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, syrup and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thin). Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- 2. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 154 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Gingerbread Loaf
"This was a great recipe! I also substituted molasses for the syrup and cut the sugar in half - it was plenty sweet. Thanks for sharing!!"
"This is an excellent fast recipe. I added two cups of pecan pieces for an extra touch. There was a lot of batter which was good, I made 8 mini loaves and 3 8x4 loaves."
"I also substituted molasses which I thank past reviewers for. Didn't seem to sweet as other suggested. Perhaps that is because of the substitution. Definitely a keeper."
"As another reviewer suggested, I swapped the maple syrup for molasses because typical gingerbread usually calls for it. Other than that, I stuck to the recipe exactly and it is delicious! I can see how others might think it's too sweet, as gingerbread is usually only a little bit sweet. However, eating a slice warm with butter and cream cheese helped to balance the sweetness nicely. This recipe is a keeper!"
"I made this recipe and drizzled a vanilla glaze over it. It smelled delicious as it baked. It freezes well too."
"I don't get why this recipe called for maple syrup. It's gingerbread- I used a cup of molasses!That is what you use when making gingerbread! Plus 2 cups of sugar is a lot! Half the sugar if you've learned to cut down on sugar and make it less sweet. The spices and molasses will make it taste wonderful!"
"I made the two loaves and in two days my son and husband had most of one gone, good thing I froze the other one. The spices were perfect and the bread was nice and moist."
"Delicious!!!! Nice and moist."
"I have made this recipe many times and it is required at Christmas time."
"Such an easy recipe! I've made it several times. It's a family favorite!"
"I would prefer it if it were a bit more sweet."