Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
Enjoy the old-fashioned appeal of gingerbread in a loaf with this recipe originally from Holland. This moist spicy bread smells delicious while it's baking...and slices are wonderful spread with cream cheese. The recipe makes two big loaves, so we have one to eat and one to freeze for later...or to give away. -Martina Biemond, Rosedale, British Columbia
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, syrup and oil. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thin). Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- 2. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 154 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC