- 1 tablespoon water
- Sprinkles of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine the flour, ginger,
- cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to
- creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into fourths. Refrigerate
- for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 12-in.
- x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 3-in. x 2-in. rectangles.
- Starting from a short side of each rectangle, cut out roofs. Remove
- excess dough, reroll scraps and cut out three more houses. Repeat
- with remaining portions.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10
- minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing
- to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, cream, lemon peel, juice and
- salt until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth.
- Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with the remaining
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, corn syrup
- and water until smooth. Decorate cookies with icing and sprinkles.
- Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the
- refrigerator. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling out. Cookies can be baked 1 week ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature or frozen for up to 1 month.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 201 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.