Gingerbread House Sandwich Cookies Recipe
These cute gingerbread houses are a fun activity to do with your children or grandkids. Let them fill and decorate the houses after they have baked and cooled.—Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sprinkles of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses and vanilla. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough into fourths. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into twelve 3-in. x 2-in. rectangles. Starting from a short side of each rectangle, cut out roofs. Remove excess dough, reroll scraps and cut out three more houses. Repeat with remaining portions.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, cream, lemon peel, juice and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with the remaining cookies.
- 5. For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, corn syrup and water until smooth. Decorate cookies with icing and sprinkles. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 201 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread House Sandwich Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC