- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting and food coloring of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluff. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses and orange peel. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, mixing well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-1/2-in. gingerbread house cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Decorate cooled cookies as desired with tinted frosting. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 127 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
"add 1/4 tst saltnot listed in ingredients"
"orange peel is not listed among the ingredients - how much do you use?"