Gingerbread Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe
My biscotti won a blue ribbon at our county fair. It even changed my best friend's mind about biscotti, which she thought was nothing more than stale bread. They have a great gingerbread flavor and are crunchy on the outside and chewy in the center. —Karen Pavlov, Canfield, Ohio
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, mix the first eight ingredients. Place 1/2 cup oats in a small food processor; cover and process until ground. Stir remaining oats and ground oats into flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, molasses, oil and vanilla; gradually beat into flour mixture. Stir in hazelnuts and raisins. (Dough will be thick.)
- Divide dough in half. Using lightly floured hands, shape each into a 12-in. x 2- in. rectangle on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on pans on wire racks about 10 minutes or until firm.
- Transfer baked rectangles to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 3/4-in. slices. Return to baking sheets, cut side down.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes on each side or until firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over biscotti; let stand until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in airtight containers. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Hazelnut Biscotti in Taste of Home October/November 2012, pIPAD
Reviews for Gingerbread Hazelnut Biscotti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review