Gingerbread Fruitcake Cookies
Two of my favorite things, gingerbread and fruitcake, meet in a truly great cookie. You’d never know this recipe starts with a mix. It bursts with fruit, nuts and gingerbread flavor, topped with a delightful orange glaze. —Jamie Jones, Madison, Georgia
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake/cookie mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 container (8 ounces) chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix cookie mix, melted
- butter and water to form a soft dough. Stir in candied fruit, pecans
- and raisins. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased
- baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar and enough orange juice to
- reach desired consistency. Spread or drizzle over cookies. Let stand
- until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Iced cookies can be stored in covered containers at room temperature for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.