Gingerbread Cutout Cookies Recipe
Our two boys linger around the kitchen when these aromatic cookies are baking. I make them throughout the year using a variety of cookie cutters. —Christy Thelan, Kellog, Iowa
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting of your choice
- Red and green paste food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Tint some of the frosting red and some green. Decorate cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 cookie equals 77 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC