Gingerbread Currant Biscotti Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, brown sugar, molasses and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans and currants. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough in half; shape each portion into a ball. On a greased baking sheet, roll each ball into a 14-in. x 1-1/2-in. rectangle.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 24-28 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°.
- 4. Transfer biscotti to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down on greased baking sheets.
- 5. Bake for 7-10 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 74 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch
Reviews for Gingerbread Currant Biscotti
"excellent and easy to make. I sliced a very shallow cut on a diagonal through the top prior to the first baking which made slicing before the second baking a snap...no crumbling at all."
"awesome biscotti recipe! great flavor with all the spices! i used craisins and pistachios for christmas, and they turned out great tasting and festive."