Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Assorted paste food coloring, optional
- 1. In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in the molasses, egg and vinegar. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle (dough will be sticky).
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 4 in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Using a floured spatula, place cookies 1 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 5-6 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and milk in bowl. Spread over cooled cookies; let dry completely. If desired, combine paste food coloring and a few drops of water; using a fine brush or the blunt end of a wooden skewer, decorate cookies. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 81 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Gingerbread Cookies
"This is my grandchildren's favorite ... they want them all year lon"
"This recipe never fails, so long as you have a good this dough rolled out. Thick turns out terrible. Very soft and excellent cookie, but the frosting doesn't do it for me. I use my own frosting recipe for this one"
"These cookies look so good, and they ARE good! A great recipe for kids to pitch in, too. (:"