Gingerbread Cookies with Buttercream Icing Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. cookie cutter into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- For icing, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, extracts and flavoring in a bowl. Gradually stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Gingerbread Cookies with Buttercream Icing(3)
Sort By :
Amazing cookies! The absolute best gingerbread ever created!
These are the absolute best gingerbread cookies I have ever had!!!!!!! I put red hots on them instead of the icing and you just can't stop eating them!
I found these several years ago in an old Country Woman Christmas book. I've made them every year since. They're quite good, but for the icing I use only butter and not the butter flavoring, trying to keep from anything artificial. In my opinion, it would ruin them.