Gingerbread Cookies with Buttercream Icing Recipe
When it's time to start the cookie baking season, this recipe is always the first one I use. My mother-in-law first shared it with me, but it's too good to keep to myself! You can tint the buttery icing a cheery pink or green and pipe it on with a decorating tip. —Ann Scherzer, Anacortes, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. cookie cutter into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- 3. For icing, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, extracts and flavoring in a bowl. Gradually stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC