Gingerbread Cookies with Buttercream Icing Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and ginger
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. cookie cutter into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
- 3. For icing, beat confectioners' sugar, butter, extracts and flavoring in a bowl. Gradually stir in enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cookies. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Cookies with Buttercream Icing
"Can you freeze these cookies, either plain or iced and ready to go??"
"Amazing cookies! The absolute best gingerbread ever created!"
"These are the absolute best gingerbread cookies I have ever had!!!!!!! I put red hots on them instead of the icing and you just can't stop eating them!"
"I found these several years ago in an old Country Woman Christmas book. I've made them every year since. They're quite good, but for the icing I use only butter and not the butter flavoring, trying to keep from anything artificial. In my opinion, it would ruin them."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.