My kids linger around the kitchen when these aromatic cookies are baking. I make them throughout the year using a variety of cookie cutters.Christy Thelan, Kellogg, Iowa
60 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting of your choice
- Red and green paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda,
- cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix
- well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight or until easy
- to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut
- with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 2 in.
- apart on ungreased baking sheets. Reroll scraps; cut out sixty
- 1-1/4-in. triangles. Place triangles on heads for hats. Using
- remaining scraps, roll sixty 1/4-in. balls; place on top of hats for
- pom-poms. Gently press to seal edges.