- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, salt and allspice; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 1/3 cup for topping.
- Stir baking powder and baking soda into remaining flour mixture. In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and molasses. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Transfer batter to a greased 8-in. round baking pan.
- Add remaining sugar and cinnamon to reserved topping; sprinkle over batter. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forGingerbread Coffee Cake
"This recipe is an absolute win for me. The topping is crisp and the cake is moist and full of spices. We decided to serve it topped with whipped cream instead of using the drizzled glaze.It comes together quickly, too, and bakes in less than half an hour, so it could be ready in time for drop-in holiday guests, or for a snow-day snack."