"Baking gingerbread cookies was a Christmas tradition when our three sons were at home," says field editor Virginia Watson of Kirksville, Missouri. "Now, our granddaughter loves to help!"
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured rocking horse cookie cutter or cutter of your choice. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cutouts in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p9
Reviews for Gingerbread Christmas Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2015
"Awesome recipe. It has become my go-to gingerbread cookie."