"Baking gingerbread cookies was a Christmas tradition when our three sons were at home," says field editor Virginia Watson of Kirksville, Missouri. "Now, our granddaughter loves to help!"
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured rocking horse cookie cutter or cutter of your choice. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cutouts in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p9
Reviews for Gingerbread Christmas Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2015
"Awesome recipe. It has become my go-to gingerbread cookie."