Gingerbread Caramel Crunch Recipe
- 14 cups air-popped popcorn
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Place popcorn in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; set aside. Butter the sides of a small heavy saucepan; add the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, molasses, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- 3. Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
1 cup: 167 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Gingerbread Caramel Crunch
"Excellent, made as recipe directed. I made another batch as my hubby made plenty of popcorn. Will definitely make again."
"Added a 1/4 t. clove, otherwise, made by the reicpe. Usually make Courtside Caramel Corn reicpe (which I LOVE!) but this was also excellent!"
"Good! Had to use honey instead of corn syrup since I didn't have any syrup on hand. Might used another reviewers suggestion and add cloves next time. Reminded me of Cracker Jack!"
"We loved it! Great flavor and crunch! The time is worth it."
"Make this even easier by using a microwaveable container. Just put all ingredients (except popcorn, soda and vanilla)into the bowl and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Stir. Microwave 2 more minutes then add your soda and vanilla. At this point I also add in toasted, chopped pecans."
"This tastes great, but I did make some modifications after tasting the coating prior to boiling it. I thought the molasses flavor was too strong and there was something missing. Since other recipes call for 10 cups of popcorn rather than 14 for a similar amount of coating, I went ahead and added 50% more of each ingredient, using additional light corn syrup in place of the molasses, so the coating ended up containing 1/4 cup molasses and 1/2 cup corn syrup. I also added a pinch of cloves which gave it the gingerbread kick I thought it was missing. The adjusted amount of coating was just about perfect; I may add 15 cups popcorn instead if I make it again. Don't slack on stirring every 10 minutes, especially toward the end of baking...the coating will burn if you aren't dilligent."
"I made 3 batches of this for Christmas this year - everyone loved it!"
"this is so awesome, I love the flavors and it reminds me of Cracker Jack carmel corn! the best."
"So delicious! Wonderful gingerbread flavor and light, crunchy texture. I'll definitely be making this again."
"Turns out perfectly every time! My husband couldn't believe that it was homemade!"
"Made this last night ~ was gone in one day!! Very tasty."
"My coworkers loved it!! They all wanted the recipe."