"This dark moist cake combines the old-fashioned flavors of ginger and molasses," says Ila Alderman of Galax, Virginia. "The recipe was passed down to me from a dear aunt."
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped topping
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg. Combine the water and molasses. Combine the flour,
- ginger, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately
- with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour into a
- greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped topping. Yield:
- 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 241 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium,