Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, applesauce, molasses and butter; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter until melted. Add the lemon juice, lemon peel and food coloring if desired; mix well. Serve with cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 251 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Sauce
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.