In Columbus Junction, Iowa, Ruth Seitz puts together this mixture so she can bake moist, nicely spiced gingerbread in no time. It's especially handy during the hectic holiday season.
Recommended: 23 Ways to Get Your Pumpkin Spice Fix
- 6-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Combine the first nine ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups total).
- To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly beat egg, water and molasses. Add 2 cups cake mix; beat until well blended. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings per batch.
Originally published as Gingerbread Cake Mix in Quick Cooking December 2000, p63
Reviews for Gingerbread Cake Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review