Gingerbread Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
So folks could enjoy the flavor of gingerbread at breakfast, our Test Kitchen home economists share this recipe. The waffles are so pretty with a sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the brown sugar and egg yolk until fluffy; add the buttermilk, molasses and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- 2. In another small bowl, beat the egg white and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter. Quickly spoon onto a preheated waffle iron. Bake according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 8 waffles.
1 serving (2 each) equals 353 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC