- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon bear-shaped crackers
- Cinnamon Chex
- Frosted bite-size Shredded Wheat cereal
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Paste food coloring
- Assorted candies
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and water. In another bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place a bear-shaped cracker, Cinnamon Chex piece or mini-Shredded Wheat piece in center of each cookie. Gently fold cookie arms toward cracker or cereal piece; press lightly to adhere to bear.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup and vanilla until smooth. Tint frosting as desired with paste food coloring. Transfer frosting to a resealable plastic bag; cut a very small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe frosting onto cookies. Decorate as desired with candies. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Gingerbread Buddies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016
Reviews for Gingerbread Buddies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review