Gingerbread Boys Recipe
These lightly spiced festive gingerbread fellows are great to munch on. And if I punch a hole in the cutout shapes before baking, I can use the sturdy cookies as tree ornaments, too. —Dore' Merrick Grabski, Utica, New York
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar icing, red-hot candies and miniature chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses and egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 4-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 144 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Gingerbread Boys
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC