- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Decorating icing, nonpareils, red-hot candies or candies of your choice, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, molasses and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm. Stir in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; stir into molasses mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: 3-4 dozen.
Reviews for Gingerbread Boy Cookies
"These cookies were easy to roll, but that's about the only good thing about them. They don't have much flavor and they got very hard. I did not overbake them. It was a waste of time and ingredients."
"This has been my go to recipe since 2008. I love that it doesn't use shortening. It makes a firm cookie that tastes s good as it looks. Thank you so much for a recipe that has made tradition status at our house."
"These are horrible! I have no idea why others think these are great cookies. They are MOLASSES cookies, not gingerbread. No kid would want to eat these. I gave it one star because the texture is nice, but the flavor is so disappointing."
"Holly Cow! This is the best gingerbread boy recipe ever! I have been looking for this one a long time. I flooded them with royal icing to make snowmen. They are already all gone :("
"this is the best gingerbread cookie recipe I have ever made. So easy. I didn't have any trouble with cutting them out, the timing for cooking them was just right right. Can't wait to decorate and put them in my gift baskets."
"We made these last year and again this year because they were so good! Many gingerbread cookies are so spicy and hard, but these were soft and chewy with a nice amount of spice."
"simple and delicious!dough was easy to make and easy to handle even for smaller hands."
"Made these cookies for a hunger benefit cookie walk. Was a bit skeptical since I have never cooked ingredients like this recipe recommended. The dough was soft but after chilling rolled out perfectly. Didn't lose a single gingerbread boy in the cutting. If I were making them for me I would have added more spices but most people aren't as accustomed to the ginerbread flavors as I am. I was not able to decorate mine quite as pretty as yours ~ but they looked good enough to eat. Thanks for sharing a great traditional cookie recipe. Christmas blessings!"
"I don't eat gingerbread cookies just not my thing.. i made this one with my kids and i just had to try it and i have to tell you that this recipes is amazing i loved it..i didn;t have to add or take away anything it was fine the way it is ,,, thanks for sharing your recipe with us"